Friday, February 6, 2009

Karma

So, Luke had a bad day yesterday. Correction. He had a really, REALLY bad day yesterday. After all was said and done, I was IMing with Cass, took my BP, and it was 138/89. I had to take 1/2 a pill for the first time in over a week.

It started with a Phone Call from the teacher. Luke started his bad day BEFORE school hours by flicking cereal across the cafeteria at breakfast. Later, he was rough housing with a classmate and got a color change. Then to top it off, he smacked another student in the face (while rough housing again), and his teacher sent him to the Principal's Office (this is his 3rd or 4th visit with her). She (teacher) called me to inform me about what was going on. She seemed optimistic about it and chalked the behavior up to readjustment after being out sick for a few days. He was "off" (no PPPs) most of last week, missed Thurs., Fri., and Tues. due to illness.

I IMed Cass, we got our plan in place, and I went down to meet the bus at 3pm. When the bus stops, the driver motions for me to come over. He gets off and proceeds to tell me that Luke's behavior has been bad for the last week or so. He's been out of his seat, crawling over and under seats, and yesterday he had just thrown a pen at another boy and hit him in the eye. If it continues, he's going to have to report it - and there will be another Bus Suspension. Oy.

Cass mentioned his "discipline problem" in his status update on Facebook, and Nicki Faust commented that it's "karma." Touche. But I have to point out that I don't deserve this dose of karma biting Cass in the ass. :) I was a model student, both academically and behaviorally. I distinctly remember in 3rd grade, Mrs. Terrell made me sit by Richie Boyer all year long, in the hopes that it would keep Richie in line. I mean, I think the only behavioral problem I had in school was getting in trouble for trying to make all the other students follow the rules. Seriously.

Luke brought home his progress report yesterday (they weren't supposed to go home until today, but I think his teacher wanted me to have *some* good news). He's doing great academically. His mid-year assessments were:

Phonemic Awareness 4 (out of 5)
Letter Name 26 (out of 26)
Letter to Sound Thinking 10 (out of 10)
Listening Comprehension 4 (out of 5)
DRA Reading level 4 (which is into 1st grade levels)

I've been told - let the school handle it, don't get involved. School environment is not at all designed to cater to boys' learning styles, and that's why they have more behavioral problems. But really - I love the boy dearly, and I'm ready to wring his neck. I can imagine how the teacher feels about him after 5 1/2 months of this. I'm pretty sure she didn't do anything either to deserve a visit from the karma fairy.

2 comments:

amwurst said...

No you didn't deserve this. But you knew you were marrying a guy that had enough 'school Karma' for a small army. Wish I could help, but I am right now arguing with a stubborn boy that I want to wring the neck of. In fact, I was just told 'you're not the boss'. I am pretty sure I didn't deserve this either.

knitforknot said...

I'm pretty sure that some of it is something in the air. Here lately, I've just wanted to have a straight jacket and muzzle for mine.