Since our class reunion is coming up next month, I thought this was timely. I've got lots of memories of high school, and most all of them are good. Believe it or not. But there is just something special about the 2 years that we spent together at MSMS. That was just on a whole new level apart from everything else.
My MSMS friends are the closest friends I have. Even though we've been apart for years, that time that we spent together in Columbus bonded us in a completely unique way. I can come into contact with any one of them who I haven't seen in years, and it's just like we saw each other yesterday.
There's only one other group of friends who I feel the same way about, and they are the people from NVIDIA. But I digress....
I don't have many specific memories of MSMS. There is the one of meeting Cass in line to have our school IDs made the first day of classes. (He doesn't recall this, of course :)
I remember carrying around the hundreds of books that the teachers issued to us on the first days of classes. And totally freaking out about it.
I remember that chicken sandwiches were the only food from the cafeteria that I actually liked to eat. And you could also buy them at the Blue Goose.
I remember going out to the train tressel during the first few on-campus weekends of the first year. That lost my interest pretty quickly.
I remember riding back and forth from Indianola with Lacy. And she liked to play Poison on her tape deck.
And sometimes I would catch a ride with Mike Mosley.
I remember how difficult it was to sit through Mrs. Richardson's T/Th AP English class. and stay awake I switched to Honors English senior year so I could have that class on MWF instead.
I remember going back a few days early senior year to do Emissary stuff. It was weird with all those new juniors around.
I remember staying on the phone for hours and hours talking to random people. And then random people became a few junior boys. And then specifically one boy. Between that and Alice and her boyfriend - I know our phone line never got a rest.
I remember the reading smoking room in the library. We spent most of our study hours in there. Because the boys could be in there with us.
I remember doing the Mentorship program second semester of senior year. I got to go to Starkville 1 day a week. And my mentor took me to Bulldog Deli. And then my mentor turned out to be a total jackass.
I was apparently having a phase where I loved black, because my MSMS class ring has a black onyx stone in it.
Then after we graduated and went to MSMS MSU, I remember the parties at Pannell's trailer.
What do you remember?
2 comments:
I remember the house in the middle of campus that they taught Art out of.
I remember how we had our own side of the cafeteria to keep us away from the MUW students during the week, but we all had to eat together on the weekends.
I remember all the weird MUW sororities during rush week, especially the ones with the big paddles.
I remember the day the tornado hit campus and the clock tower fell.
I remember seeing the seniors miserable in AP Physics when I was a junior, so I signed up for Wester World.
I remember eating a lot of Ramen noodles.
I remember riding back and forth to Indianola with lots of different people, especially the time it snowed and we got out early.
I remember having to sign out every time we left campus - where we were going, who with, what time did we leave, what time were we back. On my first day at college, I actually went to the front desk of the dorm and asked how I signed out. You can imagine them laughing at me. I then stayed out all night.
Like you Cindy, it was a great time so I can think of one great memory. Even the bad were good. Like the first weekend after being cooped up all week. A group of us loaded into Lo's beast of a car to go to the mall where we bought 'quiet' toys for study time.
I remember having a very messy room - both with you and Lo (was I the problem?).
I remember jr year Mickey would sing Lo & I to sleep when we had bad days. And sr year you played Cats & Les Mis every night when we went to bed (I had to buy it after graduation to sleep).
I remember meeting people that were 'different' from any I had known. Yet always fitting in.
I remember having push and inspire me.
I can't forget that South Wing took me out to drink - that was a funny night. I remember kissing behind the columns of Fant. And hanging at Waverly's Park because the cops wouldn't kick you out.
Just wait a few weeks and I'm sure we'll all have stories to tell.
Post a Comment