If I ever decide to go back to school, I'm going to get a masters degree in psychology. I'm constantly baffled at the mind operations and decision making processes of other people. I just don't understand why they do what they do. And I already have the perfect thesis in mind.
Somehow in recent years, promposals became a thing. No idea why, because the very idea is ridiculous to me. Clearly, boys don't give a shit about pre-planning some elaborate event, surely to be filmed for the permanent record, where they have to go above and beyond the already nerve-wracking experience of asking a girl out on a date to come up with an original awe- and awwww-inspiring way to ask said girl. It's, quite frankly, preposterous.
And of course, now the elaborate ways of asking girls out on prom dates have spilled over into homecoming as well. Oh joy. I can't wait to see all the ways that this tradition gets implemented.
I took a psychology course online a few years ago, and I learned about 2 psychological terms that have changed the way that I look at life via social media: personal fable and imaginary audience.
From the wiki, the personal fable is a belief held by many adolescents telling them that they are special and unique, so much so that none of life's difficulties or problems will affect them regardless of their behavior. And the imaginary audience refers to an egocentric state where an individual imagines and believes that multitudes of people are enthusiastically listening to or watching him or her.
So these are actual psychological states that are found in adolescents and beyond. More and more, it's beyond. And I think that social media is largely responsible. I have to choke back the vomit more times than not when I open Facebook and look at everyone's perfect pictures and perfect status updates with the supporting videos that show how perfect their lives are. It's like a contest to be the most perfect person with the most perfect life on Facebook. Nobody is real. Nobody is truthful. It's a highly edited version. It's auto tuned.
I don't want to read it anymore. (and if you know who I am, I know you find it ironic that I have this particular stance about this particular social media platform!)
1 comment:
I was unaware of these two terms, but I LOVE THEM! Although, I'm pretty sure that they apply to most Americans these days and not just adolescents.
Post a Comment