Monday, August 11, 2008

MSMS 20 year celebration, Part 2

Continued from below:

Friday, continued
At 4pm, there was a mixer for alumni and current students in the upstairs of Hogarth. We got there after it had started, and it was pretty crowded. I think the current students turned out en masse, because there were cookies and drinks. They had set up some tables with displays - one was of past prom paraphernalia, one was the Southern Voices magazines through the years, and there was a slide projector with pictures, but none of us because we pre-date the digital age.

Jennie and I were looking at the Southern Voices editions that contain some wonderful poetry by Mr. Marcus M., when a current student came over and introduced himself to Jennie. He complimented her on the Opening Convocation speech and told her that he was interested in medical school. I think he actually wanted to talk and get some advice from her, but suddenly we were accosted by Rick Smith (new Director of Admissions and Outreach and Hyperactivity) with a photographer from the Commercial Disgrace (um, I mean Dispatch - ode to Ms. Morris). He wanted us to "be natural" and continue the discussion, but could you scoot in? and turn this way a little? It was pretty distracting. I don't think Manoj got too much from the conversation, but then again he's got a 36 on the ACT - so I think he'll make it fine.

Right after that, Rick Smith showed up again, this time with a reporter from the Commercial Dispatch. He wanted to ask us some questions. It took a little while, but he finally got us to unzip our lips and talk a little bit about how we feel about the room and board fee that the State Legislature sneaked into their Education Appropriations bill at the very. last. minute. back in April or May. Effers. Anyway, the reporter was actually a 21 year old intern from University of Missouri (Mizzou!). Props to him, because his article made the front page of the Dispatch, from what I understand.

After the mixer, we were supposed to go to the MSMS Cafeteria for dinner. We walked in, and Holy Mother of SomethingorOther!!! Their cafeteria is absolutely breathtaking (compared to the dungeon that we had). It's open, light, clean, full of choices and choices and CHOICES of delicious, hot, real food. Seriously, we had slop, and they have food of the gods. We didn't really want to eat, and good thing because they had to run us out of there to close at 6pm. Also, there is no longer the dividing wall that separates MSMS from MUW. They're allowed to sit where they want. And the W likes it (well, I don't really know that, but that's lightyears from when they wanted us run out of town!).

The last event of the day was the Alumni Meet and Greet - but let's just call it the Open Forum, because that's where we put it ALL out there.

OK, hate to leave you hanging, but I've really got to leave NOW to get Cameron to the doctor! More to come.......

1 comment:

Owen said...

Food of the Gods? We never thought of it that way! We sure called it the Rot for a reason. Looking back on it, for free, endless food, it really wasn't that bad. If I had to choose between paying for food now and the Rot, I'd pick the Rot every day!