Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Opera

I've tried several times since Sunday night to make this post, but our internet service is of the dial-up quality these days. My first 100 attempts at uploading this photo resulted in "timeout", so I had to resort to uploading a smaller resized version. Remember the days of clicking on a link and patiently waiting for minutes or more to have an entire page of images load? That is what I've been dealing with for about a week now.



We took the kids to the Dallas Opera on Sunday. Cass heard on the radio that they were doing The Marriage of Figaro, and he thought we should take the kids for their first opera experience.

Surprisingly, they made it through the whole thing! It was 4 acts, with 3 intermissions - it lasted a total of 4 hours. Luke fell asleep during the 3rd act but woke up in time to see the last act. Logan didn't have her glasses, so she couldn't read any of the subtitles. Cameron seemed to enjoy it. The most important thing (to me) was that they got a healthy dose of Performance Etiqutte - where you're seated, theater doors close, the performance begins, and everyone stays quietly in their seat while the performers are singing. No getting up and down, no talking, no cell phone calls. The theater-goers respectfully focus on the performers and their work WITHOUT creating distractions. I've been to too many school performances and piano recitals where people are completely disrespectful.

Next time, we might find a good Broadway show to take them to see.

1 comment:

amwurst said...

I am with you on etiquette. We started taking the kids to a local children's theater for holiday performances 2 years ago. This year we are graduated to a larger theater to see Seussical. And they are seeing a semi-professional version of The Nutcracker next weekend. Not ready for opera yet. Luke deserves a PPP for that one.