I've had to go to the school for parent-teacher conferences recently, so I thought I'd update. I get so wrapped up in the day-to-day stress with the kids, that I forget to step back and see what terrific kids they really are.
Luke is having the BEST year! He loves his teacher, and she loves him. He's in the highest level reading group in his class and comes home with a sticker for good behavior every day. That's right, every single day since school started. I took him to the pediatrician for a checkup yesterday, and he got a chicken pox shot and flu mist vaccination. He didn't even flinch for the shot (and I took him for a chocolate milkshake afterwards!). He's on the small side - 3rd percentile for both weight and height. But he's been consistently on the small side, so it's nothing to worry about. He eats well, sleeps well, and behaves well. Last year was very hard on us, so I'm very pleased at how things are going now.
I met with Logan's teachers today, and they couldn't say enough good stuff about her. They say that she's eager, always raises her hand first, loves to contribute - and that they'd never have known that she was new to the school, she fits in so well. She's got a friend Michelle who lives on our circle. They're not in the same class, but they see each other at lunch and recess.
Cameron is doing well in middle school, I guess. She doesn't say much about it other than everything's OK. Her grades are good - all As so far. She's taking Intro to Theater as her elective. She's also in Advanced Math and Advanced Language Arts.
We're in a townhouse rental until the end of next summer. If our house in TX has sold, we will be able to look at buying a house. If not, I don't know what we'll do. The kids are likely to be reassigned to different schools next year anyway. From what I can gather, NC is bad about reassigning every 2 years or so as it is. But they had a school board election this week that may change the direction of the way they do things. Right now, they go by a diversity policy that involves busing kids from all over to balance out the percentage of kids receiving free&reduced (F&R) lunch - so you don't necessarily go to the closest school. With the new school board, they are likely to change over to the neighborhood school system (which is what they had in TX). It's far more complicated than it should be - but I'm pretty sure that the kids will be reassigned even if we stay in the same place. That might open us up to look in a wider area if we are house hunting by then.
No comments:
Post a Comment