We love our new house. I've pretty much gotten everything unpacked. We have to get some new furniture to go in our family room, and we need some new bookcases. When we get that done, we can unpack the rest of the boxes (mostly just books).
I have submitted all the paperwork to get the kids registered in their schools. Cameron needs 2 vaccinations (chicken pox booster and meningoococcal) before they will actually register her. She's getting them tomorrow. Her middle school does an Eagle Camp for incoming 6th graders and new students - so she'll go to that in early August. Logan and Luke will go to meet the teacher night, probably the Friday before school starts. I've ordered school supply kits for all of them.
Since we didn't already have enough to do, we adopted a rescue dog just over a week ago. It has gone far better than I was expecting. We ended up with a younger dog (puppy) than I wanted, but he's a Yorkie mix and he's pretty darn cute and friendly. The kids have done all of the housetraining cleanup without complaint. I hope that he's pretty trained by the time school starts. His name is Bernie.
I am currently looking at a program for CLS (clinical laboratory science). UT doesn't really have anything that I want to do, but ASH does. That's right, Austin State Hospital has a CLS training program. It's one year, and it would start for me in September 2011. I'm going to apply, but I've got to really think about it. And what I would do with it when I'm finished.
And just to prove to Marcus that there are some sane people who live in Texas :), this is an article about a school district that has dropped abstinence-only sex-ed in favor of abstinence plus sex-ed. We're not in either of the school districts mentioned (San Marcos and Lake Travis) - but Lake Travis is literally on the other side of the river from us. Of course, my kids all get their sex-ed info from me.
1 comment:
Sanity? In Texas? I'm going to have to go lay down and put a cold cloth on my head. "Lone Star Lunacy" is one of the constants in my world-view equation. While there may be sensible, thinking, non Bible-beating hystericals in the state, I thought that it was a given that they are always outnumbered and rendered irrelevant. How encouraging to see a glimmer of hope!
Post a Comment