Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sewing



I brought out the old sewing machine a few days ago. I almost made it through this project, but then I broke the whole needle fixture. So I retired the 10 year old machine and got a new one. It's fancy.

Here's what I made:

Cameron's new bedskirt

3 comments:

Marcus said...

OMG, I had no idea that you sewed. If my wife finds out, with her new-found fascination with it, she may pester the hell out of you.

tlm said...

Ooh...Mar's right. I had no idea that you were a sewist! And apparently a skilled one - the bedskirt is beautiful.

What kind of machine did you have before? What kind did you buy? I had looked at a couple of new Singers before I found out that my inherited Singer is apparently the classic machine to have if you aren't going to buy a new one. But then I read that Brother machines are now beating Singer in professional and private reviews. The machine I used for my class is a Janome, and I really think I would buy one of those if I was going to get a computerized machine instead of my mechanical version.

cindy said...

I only sew stuff like curtains and bedskirts. It requires handling a lot of fabric, but it's usually a simple stich. I haven't ever attempted clothing or anything else more complicated with patterns.

I used to have an old Brother machine (I think I bought it in 2000). It was very simple, but it was tempermental. I could usually handle it when it would act up. But it didn't do much other than about 25 different stitches.

The one I bought the other day is another Brother. I've also heard that Brother beats out Singer now - although that goes against my sensibilities since I learned to sew (in Home Ec) on a Singer. It's a digital display, Brother Project Runway Limited Edition. LOL! It seems to have the same stuff the old one had, only it's got more stitches and a digital display.

I'll probably get Logan's bedskirt done, then put it away for some period of time until the next home improvement project comes up.