Friday, February 18, 2011

I was an American Airlines snob

I signed up for an American Airlines AAdvantage account on 8/29/2001. To date, I have flown 78,009 miles on American. Not a lot compared to some people (like Cass), but not nothing either.

They used to serve their customers. I remember once, I had a flight snafu while trying to get back home to the kids - and American actually put me on a Delta flight, just to make sure I got home to my kids. They actually went above and beyond to serve a customer. That was years ago though. Now American only serves its bottom line.

They don't care. They simply don't care. Not even if you show them loyalty. Screw you.

I recently flew on Southwest for the first time in AGES. I have always marveled at the fact that they actually turn a profit. I flew Southwest years ago, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. Apparently, Southwest decided to listen to and serve its customers. They do air travel like a well-oiled machine. And they do it without stupid charges tacked on.

I reactivated my Southwest Rapid Rewards account when I got back home. Bye, bye American.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Air travel has never been an issue here at Chez Moseley since Lorraine will not consider flying. However, just this week, I've booked flights. I'm going to Denver in September, and am flying on Continental or United, I'm not really sure which due to the merger. I would have loved to fly on Southwest, as I am a big fan of their business model. However, currently New Orleans is the closest airport that they serve. I have huge hopes that when the AirTran merger is complete that they will retain the presence in Pensacola that AirTran currently has. But, Isabelle & Lorraine's mom are going to Vegas for spring break, and I DID book them on Southwest from New Orleans.

amwurst said...

Southwest is about all I fly now. They are the cheapest, especially if you have bags. They still actually give you snacks. And they are just plain friendly. There seating arrangements may be unconventional, but they can board a plan with amazing speed. Also, if you do have to re-book they don't tack on over $100 in fees just because they feel like it. I have had issues that forced me to re-book with Southwest (like trying to get people home after the earthquake in Haiti) and Southwest was by far one of the easiest airlines to deal with. They may not be high end, but when traveling with kids you can't beat them.

BTW, part of how they make a profit is their scheduling system (I read a great article on it once)- they have all of their flights arrive in blocks to expedite connections and optimize staff. Also they bought a large amount of fuel early on at a low price (according to a State buddy that works for them).