48 hrs after nearly killing myself, I got back out there and rode my bike again. I rode the regular route - 1 lap, about 3-3.5 miles.
The city is doing some utility work on one of the main roads, which is where part of our bike path runs. We had already made one loop and had ridden by all the worker guys. They had a bunch of machines out there, and there were hoses and pipes stretched all across the sidewalk/bike path. For days (weeks, really), we've just ridden right over them and gone along our merry way. But on the second pass Tuesday morning, I was standing on my pedals to lessen the bumps, and when I hit one of the pipes, my front wheel turned sideways. The bike fell, I went off to the right, hit the sidewalk, and ended up in the grass.
I scraped my right knee, my right shoulder, the right side of my face (although the chin strap of my helmet took the brunt of that) - I also scraped the top of my left hand and wrist. I was able to get back on my bike after adjusting the seat and getting the chain back on, and I rode home.
After about 24 hours, it was evident that I twisted my right leg and knee. My shoulder is also sprained. Today I realized that my right thumb must have gotten wrenched, and my jaw pops on the right side where it got hit.
Today though, I felt like a short ride. So Cass and I did one loop, but much slower. The most annoying thing was the bandage on my right knee kept me from being able to pedal full-out, but that's probably a good thing.
It will be months before my scraped-up knee heals. I don't think I ever banged up my knees this badly when I was little.
1 comment:
Our girls have had several very similar encounters with pavement, and I cannot recommend the dressings that are designed to be placed on the wound and left in place for 2-7 days highly enough.
Nexcare makes some called "Abrasion Covers" now. I know it seems like antibiotic ointment & traditional bandages are the way to go, but we've had amazing results with these newer dressings.
I use alcohol to clean abrasions just to be sure there are no little nasties - it hurts, but it works. The spray-on wound cleansers are great, too. Just be sure you DO NOT use hydrogen peroxide - it causes scarring!
Follow the directions in the package, and don't use antibiotic ointment unless it says to. Spend the extra bucks and get the biggest ones you can - they stay on better.
Good luck. I'm glad to hear that you were setting a good example by wearing your helmet - and that it did its job!
Post a Comment