Friday, July 18, 2008

Random stuff

This week, the girls have been taking enrichment classes at one of the other elementary schools in Rockwall. It's officially called RACE class, and I think it stands for Rockwall Academy of Creative Exploration - or something like that. They offer all kinds of stuff - from Sewing to Scrapbooking to Brain Games to Yoga.

I signed them up when I got the brochure, because they offer Etiquette 101. I took Etiquette from Mrs. Clements in 8th grade, and I can still remember how to set the table - so I want them to learn some manners. But RACE is a 2 week course, and Etiquette is only offered the second week. So this week, Cameron took Photography and Logan took Collage Art.

We got Cameron a digital camera (hers is blue) for Christmas, and not only has she not lost it - she's actually become a pretty good little photographer. She worked with another girl, and together they made several slide shows. I was going to post one of their slide shows, Skittle Massacre (starring 2 Webkinz dogs and a bag of Skittles), but it's a Power Point, and Blogger doesn't like it in that format.

Logan made several different collages. The one she did of her family is pictured below. Hers is the one on the top left. (Now that I look at it, she also did the one on the bottom left.)

Next week, they have Etiquette, and they'll learn table manners and phone manners. Should be interesting. It's being taught by the Assistant Superintendent of RISD.

When Memrie and family were here earlier this week, we rented a pontoon boat and went out on Lake Ray Hubbard. Here are my turkeys on the boat:

I took the girls to see an orthodontist yesterday. We'd been seeing one for monitoring in Round Rock, so I had to find a new one here. Apparently, the "in" thing for orthodontics now is what the doc referred to as the Julia Roberts u-shaped arch. Logan has it already and won't require much orthodontic work other than braces - Cameron would require an expander then braces to achieve it. Without it (and to maintain her natural v-shaped arch), Cameron will need some extractions, because she doesn't have enough space for her permanent teeth to come in. Who knew that there were "trends" in orthodontics. But this one has been around since the 90s, he says. I've got to do some reading up on it.

2 comments:

amwurst said...

I still remember Etiquette Class from Emissaries. My favorite part was getting to eat Cherries Jubilee. Don't remember much else except how to pass a basket of rolls.

nursememrie said...

And all this time I thought the purpose of orthodontics was to correct misalignments and crooked teeth. I think it's safe to say Luke won't be wanting a "Julia Roberts mouth".