Tuesday, December 9, 2008

153/106

That was my blood pressure reading this morning.

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. I went in for something mundane, because I wanted to establish with a doctor here without waiting until I was deathly ill. The nurse came in to take my vitals, and my BP was 141/108. She thought it was wrong because she had to do it over my sleeve - so I took my arm out of the sleeve. It was the same. She tried the other arm. Same.

Doc comes in and takes it. Same. I'm 36 years old, healthy, active, most definitely not overweight - so what gives? For about the past 2 months, I've had unusual migraines, dizzy spells, and the sensation of my heart racing. I chalked it all up to the usual stress of the season. Apparently, it's not. The doc mentioned a few things that could be the cause, but he wanted me to monitor it for a few days to make sure it's not a fluke. If it stays up, we'll start investigating what might be causing it. Basically, he says either it's inherited/genetic or it's renal artery stenosis. Um, I'll take neither category, Alex.

I've been monitoring my BP since yesterday morning, and the diastolic number hasn't gone below 100. This morning when I went in to let them draw my blood, it was 153/106. I wanted to cry. He told me that if it got over 150/95 to make an appointment to come in ASAP. I've got one for 8:45am tomorrow. Ho ho ho!

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Let me know what the doctor says. I will be home tomorrow until 11:00 (I am subbing 11:00 until 3:00)