Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Dr visit

I went back to the doctor today and my BP was 151/104 (or something like that - the numbers are starting to run together for me!). He had gotten back all my labs, and they were perfect. My cholesterol is 141 and everything else (liver, kidney, CBC w/diff) was within normal limits.

He looked over my BP readings, and agreed that it's hypertension and not a fluke. He prescribed Lisinopril for me to take daily. If it's essential hypertension (high blood pressure for life, probably genetic), the BP med will start to help within 24 hrs. If it doesn't have any effect, it's likely renal artery stenosis (unknown cause). He ordered an ultrasound of my kidneys to help determine which it is.

So now I'm waiting to hear from the doctor's office about the scheduling of my kidney ultrasound. I kind of hope it's the kidney thing, even though it will probably require an angioplasty, because I don't want to start BP meds for life at the age of 36.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am very surprised that someone as active and healthy as you are is already having this problem. Is there a significant family history?

Glad you went to the doctor and got this checked! Definitely sounds like those symptoms you described could be in large part due to your blood pressure being elevated - hopefully the medication will help.

Not sure if daily medicine for life or renal artery stenosis would be preferable. I look forward to seeing what happens. When do you follow up again?

Cass Everitt said...

And look on the bright side... I've been on beer for life since age 18, and I'm not complaining. But what was I talking about?

cindy said...

My Dad is on 2 meds for hypertension. But he was in his 50s or 60s when he started them. There's no history of early onset like this.

I'm still waiting to hear from them about getting the ultrasound set up. Hopefully by tomorrow I can get it scheduled.

nursememrie said...

Hey....gosh, I can't believe your BP was that high. That's worse than Patrick's was, if I remember correctly. He was just recently changed to Lisinopril from Benecar (I think that's what it was). This started in his early 30's...probabably 32-33...genetic...you know he was only about 185 then, very physically fit. Just one of those things. I think you'll be surprised how much better you feel, especially with the headaches.

Carole White said...

Cindy, Sorry you are having medical issues. Not much high blood pressure on your mom's side, more low..... my normal runs around 85 over 40 to 50 something ("darn near" comatose!) Aunt Carole's advice: keep checking in to this, maybe get a 2nd opinion. I would like to offer to come help you with the kids during Christmas, but I'm afraid Bob would "stroke." (ok not funny!) Send them to me; I'd love to have them. Take care of yourself.