Friday, September 28, 2007

The man knows fashion

Describe your favorite clothes.
I just ran through about a million writing prompts until I found one that really spoke to me. I'm not feeling very deep today, I'm rather superficial right now, so naturally talking about clothes jumped right out at me.

Today, with Cass out of the country and the kids at school AND a few of my projects behind me, I decided to make a trip to ye olde Outlet Mall. It's not that I need any more clothes, even though I just threw out about 75% of the stuff hanging in my closet. I just needed to walk and look and try on - my idea of a fun day.

Have you seen Tim Gunn's Guide to Style? He's got me hooked, and I've got it in my head that I've got to get the 10 essential items for a fashionable wardrobe. Here they are:

Tim Gunn's 10 Essential Items Every Woman Needs
• Basic black dress
• Trench coat
• Classic dress pants
• Classic white shirt
• Skirt
• Blazer
• Day dress
• Cashmere sweater
• Jeans
• A comfortable alternative to a sweatsuit
I'm guilty of rocking the mommy wardrobe. There are far too many days that I pull on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I have at least gotten out of the habit of wearing capris or anything that resembles a sweat suit. But the jeans and t-shirt (whether it's casual or fancy) are my uniform.

I spent a good 2 hours in Banana Republic (outlet) today trying on some of their new fall stuff. I found the perfect day dress and/or sweatsuit alternative. I also got some classic dress pants (NOT black!), although they're the new wide-leg style, and I'm not sure I'm going to like it. I had loads of fun trying on stuff and really looking at it to see how it works on me.

As far as the list goes, I've got the classic black dress, classic dress pants, skirt, day dress, cashmere sweater, jeans, and sweatsuit alternative. I get a 70% on this test - not bad for Ms. Mommy Homemaker.

I've got a definite shoe problem now, though. If it isn't one thing, it's another.

2 comments:

Elmer Gantry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elmer Gantry said...

RE:
• A comfortable alternative to a sweatsuit-

You should take a look at lucy.com or one of their retail stores, although I don't think there are any in the Southeast.

Seriously, check it out