If you could choose to live anywhere in the country, where would you live? Anywhere in the world, where would you live?
Interesting questions, those are, and they're coming up a lot in our household, because we will probably be moving sometime in the next 3-9 months. We've got a short list of places that are possibilities, but if we had complete freedom to choose, where would we go?
Within the United States, I'm not sure. I think we could be happy pretty much anywhere we lived - as long as it was a fair-sized city, in the neighborhood of 1 million people or more. Anything less, and it feels too small for me. A few years ago, we were in Jackson for a friend's wedding. We wanted to buy the bride and groom a Tivo as a wedding gift, so we went to the Best Buy to pick one up. When we got to the section with the Tivos, we discovered that the only Tivo they had on the shelf did not have a remote with it for some reason. The Tivo remote is very, VERY important, so we said we'd pass on that one - and asked where was another Best Buy for us to go check. The Best Buy employee gave us a funny look and replied, "Birmingham." Yikes. In Round Rock alone, we have at least 2 Best Buys that I know of, and probably 10 or more in Austin. Lots of choices are important to me. Medical services, financial services, school options, shopping, entertainment - I like to have a lot of stuff to choose from.
If I could live anywhere in the world, I'd start in London. No surprise there for anyone who knows me. I've spent a total of about 10 weeks there so far, and I've only scratched the surface for what London has to offer. I like the feel of the city, the culture there, the European political environment. I still don't get the monarchy part of the constitutional monarchy they have, but I guess you need someone for all those red tops to write about. I also think I'd make an exception to my fair-sized city rule to live elsewhere in England. Just about every place in that country is so old and historical for one reason or another - it's just completely interesting to me.
So, we'll see where this new journey takes us. As much as I've loved living in Austin, it's exciting to consider new places to live. But ask me how excited I am when the moving trucks arrive. LOL!
1 comment:
Well, with the one-year grace period on the ZIP code change, it looks like you don't have to change all those addresses just yet after all.
While I am certainly not as travelled as your family, and have yet to add 'international traveller' to my biography, I would love to live in Rome. Italy looks like such an amazing culture, with incredible art, food, and natural beauty. Plus, having access to the Vatican would be amazing.
Domestically, I am torn. I love where we are. In comparison to Starkville, it's metropolitan. However, lately I'm craving a real metropolis. Atlanta would be nice, except for traffic. And while it's not an actual metropolis, Chattanooga would be a good change of scenery, with very easy access to Atlanta. I used to want to live in the Orlando area in order to have access to Disney and all the other entertainment venues of central Florida. However, the constant glut of tourists would probably make me insane within a year.
I dearly love Chicago. It speaks to me in a language that I don't consciously know, but I understand it anyway. It is so stunningly beautiful. It has everything to offer as far as culture, art, cuisine, entertainment, etc. If it didn't get so cold there, and stay cold for so long, we may have already moved there. But in the long-term plan, when the kids are grown and gone, and we are traveling the continent in a big-ass R.V., I intend to spend lots of time in Chicago.
Post a Comment