I am taking an online course called Introduction to Journaling. I've never journaled on a regular basis, but I like to keep a blog when we're on major trips and it's been somewhat fun. I also have some friends (and even imaginary internet friends!) who keep blogs, and I read those on a pretty regular basis. It's a neat way to communicate with people who you'd like to be in touch with, without necessarily having to pick up the phone or compose an individual email. Many times, as I'm reading Marcus's blog, I can just hear his voice and picture his face through his words. I love that, it makes me smile. :)
I just never thought I could be interesting or creative enough to continue to write in a blog and actually have stuff that's worth reading. So, when I saw Introduction to Journaling listed among the online courses my kids' school offers, I thought I'd give it a try. We'll see if it sticks.
My first assignment is to come up with 3 benefits I could derive from journaling. That's easy: 1) increase the focus in my life, 2) find the humor in life, and 3) record the past. Anyone with kids knows that reduction in stress level is a Very Good Thing. Even if it seems like an unattainable goal 99% of the time. Those first 2 benefits are primarily to relieve/reduce stress. I could use a HUGE dose of that! The last one is to help me know myself and my truth better. I think I know myself pretty well, but I'm not sure exactly what "my truth" is. Hopefully the instructor will cover that in an upcoming lesson. But those are my intended benefits - nothing too deep, because that's just not my style.
I'm supposed to set a goal for each one of those benefits I chose, but I'm not going to do that. Frankly, if I write anything more than this first entry, I will have attained my one and only goal. LOL!
2 comments:
I'm so impressed! I have attempted a handwritten journal too many times to count, and haven't made the leap to blogging yet myself. I am finally trying "Ourstory.com" just to have a place to post the hysterical things my wild children do! I hope you enjoy your blog as much as Mar enjoys his. It really does decrease his stress by giving him a place to vent. And it has changed the way he approaches picture-taking, too: now he actually carries a camera on a regular basis in order to take pictures for his blog. Before his blog, I was the ONLY adult in the house who ever took a picture. Good luck!
I waited a very long time to try the whole blog thing, because I didn't think that I had anything to talk about. Plus, I have a morbid fear of public speaking, and blogging for me was very much public speaking. I was quite surprised to find that after the first few entries, it became very easy. And, it really does serve as a kind of diary for me.
I'm thrilled that you are doing this. I've missed the updates since the London trip. I've already linked to you on my page.
Post a Comment