Cameron was finally able to go for a dental checkup today. Her original appointment got postponed, because she had mono. She's had this bump-looking thing on her upper left gums since sometime in August, so I was glad we could finally have someone look at it. Come to think of it, it was there when we saw the orthodontist back in July, and he didn't even mention it. Makes me wonder...
Anyway, she got her cleaning, and she's got 1 cavity that we have to get filled tomorrow. They also have to replace the sealants on some of her molars, because they have gotten kind of flaky. Logan had the same thing done at her checkup in August.
So, on to the bump-looking thingy. She pointed it out to me after it showed up 6-8 weeks ago. I questioned her about it, but it didn't seem to bother her at all. Other than just being weird. So I just made a mental note to ask about it the next time we were at the dentist. Today after her cleaning, they brought me back and the hygienist tells me that she's got an abscessed tooth. SHEESH!
This isn't the first time she's had one. In the 3rd grade, she kept complaining about a tooth (on the opposite side) and I finally took her in to have it looked at, and it was abscessed. She had it pulled, and it was quite a mess. Everything was fine, but it was quite infected. Pulling it solved all that.
The dentist asks me if it's OK to go ahead and pull it today. He didn't want to leave it in any longer, so she wouldn't be at risk for pain or worse. So I said OK, and they numbed her up. Before I knew it, it was out. This one wasn't as obviously infected as the first. But really - HOW many infected teeth is she going to have to endure?
She's got very little room for her big teeth (from me) to come in, and I think it's causing problems. I've called and we're off to the orthodontist again - this time to get impressions and start with the palate expander. Oy.
Teeth are so much fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment