Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Cedar Fever

I never suffered from allergies, until I moved to Austin. Who knew that this place was such an allergen, but it's one of the worst in the country - and it's all because of the cedar around here. This week, it's particularly bad, and I am about to die.

I Googled "cedar fever" and one of the top results was a page on austin.about.com. December through February are the worst months. For me, it's not the sneezing. It's the burning, itchy, stinging, itchy, watery, itchy red eyes. Did I mention they're itchy, too? My eyes itch, the skin around my eyes itches, my eyebrows even itch. It's miserable.

I have Allegra to take PRN, and it usually does a great job. When my eyes get like this, I have drops to put in them that usually work. But the meds are no match for the cedar right now. The rain is supposed to help keep the pollen in check - it rained yesterday, but I'm still miserable.

Your daily pollen count - notice that one of the "worst cities" listed for today is Austin.

I have no idea what the mountain cedar tree looks like, but at this point if I did, I'd clear it all out and have a big ol' bonfire.

No comments: