So now Logan is in 2nd grade, and they're transitioning from single-digit addition/subtraction to double-digit addition/subtraction. At this point, they need to know addition/subtraction tables up to 10. I get an email from her teacher.
We were told last year by the district that we can no longer give timed math facts in class. This is to prevent frustration. Many kids get upset if they don't get through with the test.
Excuse me? Cameron did the timed tests in 1st and 2nd grade. Heck, I did them in 1st and 2nd grade. The entire point of education is to prepare kids to become adults and go out and get a job. Do you think they won't encounter frustration in the workplace? Shouldn't they be learning to deal with it now? Now I realize that there are kids with challenges who actually need to learn in a different way, and I'm all for that. But this is a case of dumbing down the entire population for a few.
Let's not stifle creativity or introduce frustration in math class. But they put so much pressure on kids to excel on the TAKS test that my oldest was throwing up Sunday morning at the thought of all the work they've got lined up to prep them for the writing portion that's coming up in March.
Give me a break.
5 comments:
Amen sister!
First of all, in the early years of math in particular, I don't know if there should be a lot of emphasis on creativity. I do recognize that math is a liberal art and at upper levels there can be a lot of creativity, but in elementary school, fundamentals are important. You have to lay down the foundation for upper level math.
Secondly, if we removed everything from school that was frustrating - well...that is impossible. They should do whatever is needed to prepare students for upcoming educational pursuits and life in general. If a kid is frustrated, then help them achieve the goals instead of dumbing down everything. Sometimes the timed tests are good to push students to work harder and achieve more. We did timed exercises and times table races and stuff like that. And it pushed you to be better.
On the other hand, if someone wanted to come along and remove everything that frustrates me from my life, I guess I wouldn't stop them.
You don't even want me to get started on this "dumbing down" subject. I am so sick of schools catering to the special ed, behavior problem, etc. kids and just forgetting about the gifted kids who really need something to challenge them.
Our Alternative School starts at 8:00am and dismisses at 2:00pm. If you ride the bus, sometimes you leave at 1:00. That is after the field trip to the gym or to the park. Who wouldn't want to go on that short schedule?
I am so excited to be moving the girls to a school that has the majority of kids score above average on the standardized tests. There are hardly any kids who score low on these tests at Desoto Central. Also, school starts at 8:30am instead of 7:30am. You gotta love that!
No Child Left Behind actually translates to No Child Get Ahead.
It has created a culture much like a monkey cage. If one monkey tries to climb up, the other monkeys pull that one back down. That is the situation in our schools now.
Public education is only concerned with test scores now, because that is what gets the funding. The focus is not on teaching or learning. It's on whatever gets the required minimum.
And George has made getting NCLB reauthorized before he leaves office. I mean, really, what should we expect when we elect a certified moron into office? It's the perfect program for him. He doesn't want kids to be smarter than he is.
However, there is no standard that could reach a level as low as George. I actually have a few trees and a couple of large rocks that can hold a more coherent conversation than Geroge.
So what is creative math. 2+2=whatever I feel like today? What I don't like is teaching to standardized tests - that stifles creativity for the children and the teacher. Max hates writing and I truly believe it is because of the structure that is forced upon their writing thanks to these tests.
Here's the key 'legal' word to get past this crap. How are you "differentiating" for my child? That is the word that bind teachers to teach for your child's ability in Colorado. Unfortunately not every child as a parent advocate.
As for timing- yeah some kids do kids really stressed by timing. But that is something they have to learn to overcome- just like any other obstacle. If it's truly debilitating for the child then differentiation is the same key word. In our school a very few children aren't timed on tests for this reason. They take their standardized tests separate.
Let's face it -children are way to pampered these days.
What stresses me out are schedules and commitments. I wish we could just strike words and phrases like tardiness, homework, missed deadlines, and you have to come in to work today from our lexicon and just do whatever we want whenever we want. (That's why I decided to post this comment at 6:45am on a Saturday.)
In fact, I think expectations in general are the root of the problem. I am tired of being judged by society's arbitrary standards of punctuality and diligence.
(Note to self: add expectations, punctuality, and diligence to the stricken words list... when I get around to it.)
Post a Comment