Friday, January 11, 2008

Turtlenecks

Apparently, come January, no one in Austin has need for turtlenecks.

This is the place where we don't have winter. I'm always baffled when I go back-to-school shopping in August, and they have wool sweaters and pants out. Um, newsflash - it's still 100 degrees here in August. Put those away and get them back out in January!

I started packing the ski stuff a few days ago. I was going through Cass's stuff, and I couldn't find his turtlenecks. I know he used to have a few, but I guess I got rid of them during the great closet purge of September. Somehow, I kept 3 or 4 of mine, but threw all of his out. I only found a very old forest green turtleneck from Structure - that I got ages ago for him at Walls in Starkville. Why didn't that get purged and the nice soft Eddie Bauer turtlenecks get saved? Who knows. It really won't do either, because his ski ensemble is black and red. He really needs more of a white and/or heather gray option. LOL!

I went to the Sail & Ski store in Austin today to get us an extra pair of wool socks - we both only had 1 pair each. While I was there, I looked at their turtlenecks. The ones that they had were designed for skiing, and they were all some polyester sport blend material. I know Cass doesn't like that at all - he's a cotton kinda guy - so I passed. Surely, I could go pick up a couple from the Lands End section of Sears or from the Gap.

Nope. Once they clean up the stores after the Christmas sales, they apparently put out the new spring stuff. Nobody needs a turtleneck in January, the coldest month that Austin sees. Time to break out the sun dresses!!

Sheesh.

Follow ups:
- I still love and adore my iPhone. It is seriously the most wonderful gadget ever invented.
- The day that I was going to go buy the pink Chi - my original black one was returned to me in the mail. I should probably get the pink one anyway, right? ;)
- Cass's boss and another co-worker are here from California. I seriously think they just came to hang out. Another nV guy who lives in Moscow is in Austin right now too, so I think it's just a big social gathering.
- The big internet juggernaut that he interviewed with Monday called tonight while everybody was here. Hee hee! Busted. No, they knew - Cass can't keep secrets.

1 comment:

amwurst said...

If you're going to get cotton turtlenecks I really recommend you get the Chili's or some other silk long johns. Cotton really does make you cold when you're skiing. You might know, or maybe not as I learned it in Colorado. As you ski, you get warm and sweat. When you stop the cotton is wet and turns cold. (I don't even sweat really and I've noticed the difference between cotton and non-cotton for the bottom layer).

I am jealous. But I'm so out of shape that I shouldn't be. My skis have been used once in the last 4 years. Joe & I should just hire a sitter one day and just go skiing. No point in taking Zoe yet. Her sled tipped once the other week and she was done - can't imagine if she fell on skis.

Having trouble typing - 2glasses of really good wine for dinner are quicly hiting.