Cameron had the flu back in mid-January. Luckily, she got it over the long MLK weekend, and her school absences were minimal. She got a + flu test at the pediatrician's office, and they gave her Tamiflu. It was over in less than a week.
Luke started running temp late Thursday night. By Friday I was convinced that it was the flu - high fever, clear runny nose, dry cough. He's had a pretty textbook case so far. I didn't bother to take him in to the pediatrician, because he had the flu about a year ago, and he had a bad reaction to Tamiflu (vomiting, swelling, rash). Since he couldn't take it, no need to bother the doctor.
A few times, he's had coughing fits where he couldn't breathe very well. Still not enough to send me to the doctor with him. But this morning, he got up, then got back in bed and went to sleep. He just looked more pitiful than he's been, and his nose is now running green goop (lovely). I figured he was starting some secondary infection, so he needed to be seen today. I took him in, and the ped gave him amoxicillin for a probable sinus infection. His lungs were clear, so that's good. Hopefully, he'll be back to normal in a couple of days.
I guess we're lucky that our bouts with the flu have been an isolated case here and there. We could have all gotten sick at the same time. That would have been awful!
2 comments:
Yay! for the amoxicillin. It fixed me in about two days.
Lorraine's niece came down with the flu yesterday, and it now threatens our planned trip to Starkville this weekend. I don't want any of us unnecessarily exposed, plus Lorraine's propensity toward respiratory disaster makes it even more important to avoid the flu at all costs.
One thing that may help in the future - most physicians would be wlling to prescribe Tamiflu for the rest of the family if one member has been definitively diagnosed with it. There is evidence that it can be used to prevent spread to the other family members. Also, if Luke had a problem with Tamiflu in the past (and given the symptoms, I would not prescribe it again), there are other medications that can do the same job.
Sorry you all got hit with the dreaded flu, but as you said, at least it wasn't all at once.
Hope everyone is feeling back to normal soon!
Post a Comment