Tuesday, February 5, 2008

We'll Take It

Last night, Cass told the company in Dallas that he wants to take the job they offered. Still haven't signed on the dotted line, but it's pretty official. So after nearly 8 years, we will cease to be Austinites - and join the club of Dallasites. (They really need to come up with better names than that.)

The new company is id software, and they make the computer games Doom and Quake. The founder/CEO of id, John Carmack, is thought of as a computer gaming guru. Cass has been their nVidia contact since he started there, so they've known him for a long time. In recent years, Carmack has gotten interested in aerospace engineering and formed his own company, Armadillo Aerospace, to compete for the X Prize. He's hiring Cass to replace himself as lead graphics engineer on their next game engine, so he'll have more time to focus on his aerospace endeavors.

So now we're waiting to find out when they want him to start work, and we'll go from there. I don't know if we'll (the kids and me) will try to stick around here until the end of the school year, or if we'll try to price the house to sell quickly and move ASAP.


Other random info:
- I fell down the stairs (4 of them) Sunday night. Ouch. I feel like somebody took a baseball bat to me.

- Cass is giving up alcohol for the month of February.

- Logan's 2nd grade class is putting together a book of their short stories to be bound and printed (copies for parents). The teacher chose Logan to draw the cover artwork.

- Tawn K. (from MSMS) is an assistant high school principal in the school district I'm most interested in. Can't wait to get in contact with her via email!

- Juno is a very good movie.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

I find it interesting that you mention today that Cass is abstaining from alcohol for a month, and the bottom fell out of the stock market. I'm going to have to check and see if any beer distributors led the decline.

Good luck with the move. Sounds like a very cool job for Cass. My only experience with Dallas is on the north side, in the town of Addison. We spent a week there three years ago for Lorraine to attend a conference. If you want to eat, restaurants seem to be the main attraction in Addison. I've never seen anything like it. And I'm talking about good restaurants, not McDonald's-type establishments.