Thursday, October 11, 2007

Home Sweet Mississippi

We left last Thursday morning for a trip to Mississippi. My Mom started laying on the guilt trip back in August, because we hadn't been to Mississippi since March - so I finally caved and agreed to go for Mississippi State Homecoming on October 6th. The kids had a half day on that Friday and a holiday on Monday, so it was a good weekend to go. Cameron suggested that we fly, so I checked fares and booked us flights for Thursday 10/4 and Tuesday 10/9.

The thing about visiting Mississippi, for us, is that we've got family all over - and they all expect to see us when we're there. So instead of going somewhere and relaxing, we get to go (pack up, load up, drive) somewhere new each day. We were in Indianola on Thursday and Friday nights, Starkville on Saturday night, and Waynesboro Sunday and Monday nights. At the end of the trip, I didn't know which clothes were clean or dirty, because I was just shoving our stuff in the suitcase to try to keep up with everything we brought. We couldn't possibly have squeezed in another meeting or stopping place, without me losing it.

That said, it was a nice visit. We got to attend Indianola Academy's homecoming, where they honored my high school music teacher at halftime. I saw my best friend, Lacy, whose husband has recently decided to go to seminary to become a chaplain. We went to Greenwood to have lunch with our MSMS friend Mike M., who just bought a house. We saw my sister and brother-in-law, who are moving from Starkville to Southaven soon. We tailgated with the ERC crew before the Mississippi State game. The Bulldogs won their game, and they have a WINNING RECORD (4-2) thus far this season. (I just jinxed them, didn't I?) And we visited the in-laws in Wayesboro, where the kids got to go fishing and caught about 30 bream between them. Lots of news to digest, eh Marcus? :)

Since we got back on Tuesday, we've been playing catch-up. The kids have lots of schoolwork, they've missed soccer practice, and they've got to make up their piano lessons. I will be glad to get back on normal schedule. Then Cass leaves on Saturday to go to University of Illinos-Urbana Champaign to give a talk - so I get to do the soccer games on Saturday. Cameron and Luke have games at the same time.

3 comments:

knitforknot said...

I had so hoped that you wouldn't blog for another day or two, just to let Marcus stew for a bit. :) Now the pressure is on for me!

Glad to hear the trip went well! Good luck with the games on Saturday.

Sandra said...

By the way, I found some of Cameron's or Logan's underwear in Carlyn and Noelle's suitcase. So I guess you didn't get home with everything you came with.
We loved seeing all of you and spending time with you.
I have been having some blog withdrawal so I was glad to see an entry this morning.
Carlyn and Noelle both have a soccer game tonight at the same time. As a matter of fact, the remaining games for the fall are all scheduled for the exact same time. Hopefully they will be played on fields that are close together so I can watch them both. Ah, the joys of single parenthood!
We miss y'all already.
Let me start the guilt trip early. So when are you coming back? ;)

amwurst said...

Ok, thanks to Marcus's post I just discovered your blog. It's great to be able to keep up with you guys. Rather than blog I just comment to Marcus's.

Anyway, at least your family is all in MS. When we do the holidays we fly to MS, unpack, get the kids adjusted to the time difference only to pack up to fly to FL or some other state to visit Joe's family. Keep in mind flying into and out of MS always takes us 2 flights so that just adds to the kids being out of sorts.

I would LOVE to go to MS and just drive around to visit old friends, and familiar places. Like you, we are expected to see family and we're always overscheduled and overtired to go anywhere besides Philadelphia. This year I thought we might get to those other places, but my mom's health made it impossible. At least I can live vicariously through you and Marcus.