Friday, October 19, 2007

I am the Halloween Grinch

It's that time of the year again. And again I am just not in the mood for Halloween.

In my neighborhood, it's like there's some unofficial competition for who can get the most Halloween-themed decorations in their front yard each year. And each year it gets worse. Nearly every house on my street has some sort of ginormous (you know, gigantic/enormous) blow-up thingy that rises each morning and stays there all day. There are the fake spider webs stretching across the front porches, and the ones that look like a witch crashed her broom headfirst into the ground. This year, orange lights seem to be all the rage - even though they look very Christmasy to me. My house, on the other hand, remains completely bare. It's not that I have anything against the decorations, they're cute - but I just don't have the desire to make the effort to decorate my house like that for a 1 night holiday.

Last night, we got "Boo-ed." That's when some anonymous somebody leaves a Boo bag filled with goodies on your doorstep, rings the doorbell, and runs away. In turn, you're supposed to Boo somebody else, and so on. I'm sorry, but the Boo trick ends here.

The highlight of Halloween for us has always been the nVidia Pumpking Carving Party that they have at Cass's work. It's always a day or two before Halloween, and we go up to the office with all the other families, and we all carve pumpkins together. Those pumpkins are usually the only Halloween decorations that we have at our house. It used to be a lot of fun, when there were only 15 or so families that showed up. Now the Austin office is so big (nearly 200 people) that the party is total chaos. Plus, the Austin office manager has recently put the kibosh on beer buying/drinking in the break room - so Cass wants to boycott it for that reason alone.

So, if you're in my subdivison, mine is the house with no decorations and no pumpkins out front. I'll leave the light on so that the Trick-or-Treaters will know that we might have candy - unless I eat it first.

No comments: