Last summer, I sent Luke to a British Challenger soccer camp through the Round Rock soccer association. It was their first year hosting the camps, but they had a massive turnout, and it was a great camp. They had probably 75 kids, and they divided them up into teams and had a mini World Cup tournament. They dressed in their country colors, painted their faces, colored their hair - it was crazy fun.
When we moved here, I looked up camps in this area, and YES! The Rockwall YMCA (where they have their soccer leagues) was hosting one in June and one in August. I signed all 3 kids up, and we got our jerseys weeks ago.
So yesterday is supposed to be the first day of camp. We were in the evening session (5pm-8pm). The girls had piano/voice lessons until 4:30, so we would be pressed for time in between. While they were at their lessons, I decided I should go scout the location of the YMCA soccer fields. The camp registration info gave the address for the YMCA building, so I assume that the fields are somewhere around there.
Drive to the YMCA. Finally find some run-down, unkempt fields behind the building. Surely these aren't the fields. There are only 2 of them, and they look awful. Plus, there was supposed to be a morning session of camp, and nobody has been there. I pull over and call Cass - please get me a number for the YMCA, I've got to call and get directions to the fields.
Side note: At this point, the sky is quickly turning black and there's lightning, so I know we're not playing soccer tonight. I just need to get them there for check-in.
Call the YMCA. "Can you tell me where you soccer fields are located?" Please hold. Let me give you so-and-so's voice mail. I call back again. "I need to know where the soccer fields are. We're signed up for soccer camp in 1 hour, we're new in town, and we don't know where they are." Let me take your name and number and someone will call you back. Are you serious? You work for the YMCA and can't tell me where the soccer fields are? Give me a break!
I sent Cass a few text messages that may or may not have included "I hate this place!" in them. Then I finally get a call back from a YMCA sports person, Lauren. Yes, soccer camp is still on. Yes, it's at those soccer fields.
I picked up the girls, we stopped at Sonic to grab a bite to eat. The bottom falls out, and it is POURING outside. I drive up to the YMCA fields - not a soul in sight. I drive up to the YMCA building - no soccer players in sight. Finally, I decided to send Logan in to ask what is the status of soccer camp tonight. She comes back out - "they say it's upstairs inside the Y." Great. We all get out of the car in the pouring rain and run inside. Go upstairs - nothing but offices up there, and no soccer players in sight.
Are you with me? At this point, I'm ready to go home and call a moving company.
I send Cameron back to the desk to ask again - "they said to go Gina's office upstairs!" So we finally find Gina's office. Knock on the door, walk in. There's Gina, and 2 British soccer coaches. That's it. Where are all the kids? Well, come to find out - my 3 kids and somebody else's 3 kids were the only ones signed up for this session of camp. OMG!!!!! They had been trying to call me, but "couldn't get through" (apparently our having an Austin area code phone number makes it impossible for people to phone us.) PLUS, my email address was on our registration. When all else fails, email me, people.
They should have contacted us and canceled the camp - right? Why they didn't do that, I'll never know. But Gina says that they can send us to Royse City to their camp, and hopefully the kids will get the full camp effect there. I hope so. If I drive out there tonight, and there aren't enough kids there, I may commit a hate crime on the British Challenger soccer camp people. And then call a moving truck.
Oh - P.S. - The Royse City soccer association website is completely down, and the Challenger Sports "look up a camp in your area" link hasn't worked all morning. Yay!
5 comments:
When people who are supposed to be in charge turn out to be utterly clueless, I come dangerously close to an aneurysm. Unfortunately, this happens almost daily.
I feel your pain.
Were the British soccer players cute?
Oh yeah. :) Anyone with that accent is cute to me, though.
Were there a reasonable number of kids at this "new" camp? I hope it worked out...not only for the kids, but also to prevent you from becoming a felon.
I do have experience in bailing people out of jail - just let me know. :)
Post a Comment