Tuesday, June 3, 2008

No pain, no gain

I feel like an old person today.

I'm not the most fit person on the planet. But I try (a little). A little more than a year ago, Cass got me to start riding bikes with him. We had a pretty long route in Round Rock that was about 7 miles. So when the weather was good, I would ride my bike. I'd even ride it in the 100 degree heat of the summer. It was enjoyable, me-time. When winter would roll around, I wasn't as diligent. In fact, I mostly stopped. You know how you go through cycles with that kind of stuff. We've somewhat picked it back up again, although our route in the new neighborhood is much shorter. One loop is about 3 miles, and it you do it twice it's 6 miles.

Years ago, I got a fitness DVD set by a guy named Gilad. I think it was the Bodies in Motion series which focuses on cardio type exercises. It wasn't too hard for me (or too hard on me) and I enjoyed doing it. Like all fitness routines though, I cycled through that and eventually quit.

Recently, since it is swimsuit season after all, I decided to try to tone up a little bit. I found Gilad on FitTV, and I started Tivoing his show. What I didn't realize was that this show is NOT Bodies in Motion - it is Gilad's Total Body Sculpt. He does combinations of exercises with weights to work on pretty much all body parts during a 30 min show. Is that even possible? It should be called Total Body Torture, IMO.

So yesterday, I ride my bike. I did one loop, plus the big circle we live on - so about 3.5 miles. Then I come home and do Gilad's 30 min. Total Body Torture. THEN (what was I thinking?) I decided to check out the Total Body Sculpt Plus that recorded over the weekend. It was 1 hour long. Oy. There are apparently muscles in my arse that I didn't know I had, much less ever exercised. And did you know that hamstrings are actually a muscle that can be worked? Me either. But they are, and they didn't even wait the obligatory 24 hours to start aching. That pain started mid-workout.

And do you remember that I fell down the stairs back on Super Bowl Sunday? I guess 36 year olds don't heal as quickly, because that hurts too when I do my Gilad.

Somebody pass the Bayer.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Our youth is gone. Bring on the Geritol!

nursememrie said...

Welcome to my world, Cindy! When I was 19, I got the bright idea to do back handsprings with no stretching or prior lessons with someone going, "Oh, no big deal...I can show you how." I did it. I was in the doctor's office days later with muscle spasms. My lower back has NEVER been the same.
You're shaming me,though. I need to be doing something, too. It's amazing how things "soften" up, even when your weight doesn't change. I decided the boys are getting a weight bench for Christmas. We'll see if I can benefit from that. I'll take my Bayer prior to the exercise.;-)