Sunday, June 8, 2008

The price of having a boy child

Yesterday afternoon, we decided to go find the Chuy's in Dallas, because Cass was missing his favorite Mexican restaurant. After some misfiring (by me) with the Google maps on the iPhone, we got there about 4pm-ish. We sat outside on the patio and ordered food.

Cass texted his friend Brian, who lives nearby, to see if he wanted to come join us. He finally showed up at the restaurant around 6pm-ish. We had some adult drinks, while the kids kind of milled around on the patio area. They seemed to be behaving, and it was really hot, so there weren't many folks outside for them to bother.

We were just about to wind up with our patio-sitting, when a man from another table came and asked if those were my kids. If so, they were "throwing things at him." I wanted to crawl under the table! Turns out, Luke had taken some mulch out of a planter and was throwing it at the guy while he was eating his meal.

We apologized, we made Luke apologize, and he got a stern talking-to. We were ready to leave then, and we all started to walk to the car. Cass lagged behind, and I didn't really know what he was doing. When he got in the car, he told me that he had paid for that guy's (and his table's) meals.

I'm sure that's not the last unexpected expense Luke will incur for us.

6 comments:

tlm said...

I think I've already mentioned it, but again, THANK GOD your boy is older than mine. For years, Mar & I have been the pioneers in the parenting minefield. At least now, we're only out in front as the parents of girl children. You and Cass get to show us how to manage these challenging BOYS!

So, after all was said and done: was dinner worth it? Because, at this point, I would rather just stay home.

Cass Everitt said...

I love me some Chuy's. :-)

nursememrie said...

I love me a nephew who can rival my own sons in mischief!

cindy said...

Oh yeah, it was worth it. If nothing else, my kids have to learn how to eat/behave in a restaurant. This Mama doesn't cook. :)

Just before this incident, Luke was getting refills of water for the girls and himself to drink. I'd love to know what was going on in his mind when he went from sweet helpful brother, to menace in 2 seconds flat. Oy.

amwurst said...

Cindy,

I want to commend you and Cass. I know all kids have their moments. But I can't stand it when a kid is blatantly misbehaving and the parents do nothing but make excuses. Making Luke apologize alone is great. But Cass stepping up and paying their bill was admirable.

I have dealt with so many disrespectful kids lately (I'm working at VBS this week, not to mention the bratty boys in Zoe's kindergarten this year) I almost want to move back South. I could go on, because this is my biggest pet peeve, but instead I will just say thank you for being a responsible parent to Luke.

Cass Everitt said...

Thanks, Alice. I agree with you about parents that make excuses or ignore their child's behavior.

Children will make mistakes, but they'll just keep making them if they're not addressed. :-)