Saturday, December 22, 2007

Movie review

Cass was looking at what was playing at the movie theaters this morning, and he saw that Atonement was playing at the Tinseltown in Pflugerville. Last I looked, it was only playing at the Arboretum theater in Austin. I read about this film a few months back, and the reviews have been excellent, so I knew I wanted to see it when it came out.

It's based on the novel by Ian McEwan, and it stars Keira Knightley and James McAvoy (Mr. Tumnus from Lion, Witch, & Wardrobe, The Last King of Scotland, and Becoming Jane). Right before I left for Europe, I bought a copy of the book to try and read it before I saw the movie.

I finished the book the last night we were in Berlin, and I wasn't very fond of it. It was a good story, but the writing was kind of disjointed with a lot of flashbacks. He tells part of the story, then goes back and fills in the blanks. If you're a fast reader like me, you can easily miss a lot. I also didn't like the ending of the story, even though I know it was probably written that way to keep it from being neatly tied up at the end.

Anyway, I just got back from seeing the movie, and I'm glad to say that I like the movie better than the book. Funny that it follows the book pretty closely. I guess I knew beforehand how it was going to be put together, and it helped me enjoy the movie more.

Keira Knightley and James McAvoy are brilliant, and I can see why it got lots of Golden Globe nominations. If you watch as many British films as I do, you'll recognize lots of actors - "Fanny Dashwood" from Sense and Sensibility, "Mrs. Bennet" from Pride and Prejudice, "Bella" from Notting Hill.

I definitely recommend it. This one will be up for some Academy Awards, as well.

No comments: