Friday night, Logan started complaining of a stomach ache. We'd had nasty pizza at her soccer party, so I just thought it was from that.
Saturday morning, her tummy still hurts, but she feels well enough to go to a birthday party at Ramp Ranch (skateboarding place). When I pick her up, she tells me that she didn't have any birthday cake at the party. (Logan has never met any sugar that she won't eat - so I knew something was wrong.)
Saturday evening, she looks pale and pitiful, so I take her temp. It's 102F. I just assumed that it was probably strep, because that's how she usually progresses when she has strep. Stomach ache ---> fever ---> sore throat.
It's 24 hours later, and she's still running in the 102-103F range, but I looked in her throat with a flashlight and it looks perfect. She says that her throat doesn't hurt - her head hurts and her body is sore. She's been sleeping off and on in my bed all day.
Ideas?
6 comments:
Cindy,
It could still be strep. Often with abdominal pain, you might think of a stomach bug, but by now you should see other symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea). It is really common to have no sore throat or red throat with strep. Often fever and abdominal pain will be the only symptoms. Headaches are common with strep too. It could still be viral, but if she still has fever 101 or above, you might consider taking her to her MD tomorrow. Strep is common this time of year. Flu could be a possibility but it is probably a little early for that.
Thanks Dr. J! I will take her to the doc tomorrow. I suspect that the throat soreness will progress tonight, because like you I'm pretty sure it's strep.
I thought it was too early for flu, too....
The one and only time my kids had strep (knock on wood) they never got a sore throat. Max kept complaining of a stomach ache. Then is eczema flared. Zoe did the same thing (with a 24 hour delay), but her eczema had a huge flare up on her bottom. I offhandedly mentioned it to someone, and they told me 'you know strep can present as a stomachache and rash'. I made an appt for 2 hours later and sure enough they both had strep. Neither ever had sore throats.
I think all of this is happening to us due to Marcus' request of the umbrella over his house. All that illness is being distributed to our houses now. :) I've had both kids sick all weekend & now I'm not feeling too great. ARGH!
Take care!
A POX on Marcus I say. Zoe was sick last weekend. The day after she recovered I came down with a nasty cold. I am still fighting it.
I'll have you know that I spent most of last week with a nasty cough and a chest full of mucus, much like those disgusting Mucinex ads. I've had my share of suffering as well. I just didn't talk about, because I felt certain that the health department would come and investigate us if I advertised yet another disease here. Alexandrea is the only one who hasn't been ill in the past six weeks.
Post a Comment