My cornbread dressing is in the freezer, and my turkey is defrosting in the fridge.
This afternoon, I made a pumpkin roll. In a little while, I'm going to make some sausage balls. Tomorrow will be spent making 3 cheese mashed potatoes, because they have to chill overnight (although I like them warmed back up anyway). I've also got to clean and cut my fresh green beans for the southern green beens I'll cook on Thurday. I've also got the ingredients to make giblet gravy, but I don't ever make it - that's Cass's job. He loves that stuff, and he can stomach preparing the giblets.
Lo, I asked my Mom about the caramel cake recipe. She said she's got several, one of which involves melting caramels. I told her that you probably meant a from-scratch recipe, so find one that involves kitchen chemistry.
What's going on in your kitchen?
5 comments:
I'm so bummed. We always do Thanksgiving with 2 other families. This year the person in charge decided to just dole out parts of the menu without talking to us first. So I'm making salad. I usually make the sweet potatoes and dressing. The worst part- she makes Stove Top. So I'm planning a small feast for Sat with my parents (they fly in Fri. night).
My kids would much rather eat with you. They LOVE sausage balls.
I am on my own for Thanksgiving this year (this is our family's year to do Christmas together). My Dad invited me to come to his wife's family's thing in Birmingham (with her mother and daughter). Honestly, I am just now really able to deal with his wife, and I am not wanting to share my holiday with her freaky family members. I am going to attempt to cook a meal including a chicken and some veggies and a cake. I will let y'all know how it goes - I am not much of a cook but I am feeling optimistic.
I LOVE sausage balls, too!
I cheat a little bit. I have a local meat market smoke my turkey, and all I have to do is carve it up. It's delicious, and I don't have to deal with the thawing, cooking, cleaning up process.
We're starting with mid-morning champagne mimosas & hot asparagus dip with a variety of dippers. I'm preparing cornbread dressing, green bean casserole (a tiny cheat - I like canned green beans in the casserole), sweet potato casserole (with topping of marshmallows, pecans, coconut, & brown sugar - but absolutely no raisins!), rosemary red potatoes (I know it's two potatoes, but the sweet potatoes are almost a dessert), stuffed cranberry sauce, and pumpkin trifle.
The asparagus dip, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin trifle are all from Paula Deen. I've made the asparagus several times and it is fabulous. The cranberry is simple, and this will be the first time I've tried this one. Make a mixture of 1 package cream cheese, 2 TBSP good mayo, & 1/4 cup chopped pecans. Then, just take the regular canned kind of jellied sauce, cut it into 1/4 inch slices, and spread the mixture between two slices. The pumpkin trifle will be new this year as well, even though I don't really like pumpkin. If anyone wants recipes, just let me know.
Cin,
I wish I had your skills in the kitchen, I wish I had anyone's skills in the kitchen. I just told Dean that I feel guilty for not cooking the whole "Thanksgiving meal" for Carlyn and Noelle, Dean said, they don't like that stuff anyway so why don't we cook something they do like...so tomorrow we are having shishkabob, broccoli and rice. Pretty festive huh?
First, I must say that Thanksgiving is especially wonderful for me, since all I have to do is eat the amazingly delicious food my husband prepares. This year asparagus dip is amazing - he mashed the asparagus, and the dish is now PERFECTION.
Second, the caramel cake I remember involved browning sugar in a cast iron skillet. I'll have to do some research and see what I can find.
Third, I would be unable to attend any Thanksgiving dinner involving the words "Stove Top."
Fourth, I can completely understand not wanting to spend the holiday with a bunch of strangers - my mother has always had the tendency to bring home anyone who didn't have somewhere else to be for Thanksgiving. Sometimes, we had a wonderful time at those meals, but many times, we did not.
Fifth, either Sandra has got to put her family in the car and come down here to Zeke's for Thanksgiving, or we've all got to coordinate an effort to kidnap her girls and show them what Thanksgiving is all about!
Post a Comment