Monday, November 5, 2007

Misc.

Well, what can I say about dinner with Robert Purvis? He's as "interesting" as ever. He took a leave of absence, left Austin last year, and spent 6 months living in Las Vegas, making his living by playing poker. When his leave was up, he had to come back to Austin for his job and its benefits. Now he's back to selling advertising for Yellow Book, tutoring math, and giving tennis lessons.

Why are my kids so obsessed with playdates? I manage to avoid a lot of them and not feel bad about it, mainly because I feel judged by other people about my parenting style and my lifestyle in general. Round Rock and Pflugerville aren't like Austin, and I'm not like a lot of people who live here. After I picked Luke up from school today, the Mom of one of his classmates wanted to exchange numbers to set a playdate (ugh). While we were exchanging our info, Luke tells the little boy to go spank his Mom (and he did it!). Ack! I'm sure the Mom was rethinking her choice of playmate on the spot. Seriously, I'm raising little Cass here - who can handle that job without medication? :)

Cameron's 10th birthday is on Thanksgiving Day. Since it's really difficult to get kids to attend a birthday party anywhere near the Thanksgiving holiday, I agreed to let her have a party early this year (I usually can put it off until after Thanksgiving). So, this weekend, we're having a sleepover/movie party on Friday night.

We haven't had good luck with birthdays this year. In August, we spent a lot of money to book a trip to Sea World for Logan and Luke's birthdays. Everything got totally washed out by a tropical storm, and we ditched it a day early and came back home. I complained a little via email, and a month later I got a call from Sea World offering to send us some t-shirts. That was in September, and no t-shirts so far. What The Hell?

I hope the sleepover goes better than that.

The US dollar is weak. Like this is new news?!? We still have scars from the blood-letting we took the summer of 2004. The exchange rate was around 1.85 back then. ₤3 for a Coke? 3 x 1.85 = $5.55 (and still no ice). Prices for stuff over there are not adjusted for the difference, they are about the same - the value of the money you're paying with is different. The exchange rate this summer was hovering around 2, which was even more painful.

Do you think the evangelicals will back a third party candidate? I really, really hope so.

1 comment:

Marcus said...

Oh, it would be so wonderful if the evangelicals would abandon the Republicans for this election. It would be a lot like when some of the idealistic Democrats voted for Nader in 2000 and ended up putting us in this Bush mess by costing Al the election.

Maybe we should all pray about it.