Logan is still sick. This is day 10 of her fever. She's had an awful cough since the weekend, so I took her back to the doctor this morning. The doc didn't hear anything in her chest, but he did an X-ray just in case. She's got an infection in her right lung. (You nurses/doctors - does lung infection automatically = pneumonia? or is there a distinction?) She's on zithromax for 5 days, can return to school tomorrow.
Cass brought home some cold kind of illness from his trip. We jokingly refer to it as "tuberculosis". His only lasted about 2 days, the miserable portion at least. But now I've got it (tuberculosis, lol!). I literally sneezed for the first time at lunch yesterday, and by bedtime my head was going to explode. I didn't sleep much - stuffy nose from 11 pm to 1 am, was up on the computer from 2am to about 3:30 am. I took Nyquil at that point, and it made me nauseated - but I slept some. Until the alarm went off at 6:15 am. I'm starting to run a temp, too. Yippee.
So, thanks Marcus. :) (Just kidding!) Cold and flu season is just lovely, isn't it?
4 comments:
Logan's sounds like pneumonia even though the doctor didn't say it. (bacterial since she is on zithromax) Did they do a CBC?
Cass's sounds like some sort of viral thing.
I'm no doctor though. Maybe Jennie has some insights.
Pneumonia is generally the same as an infection in the lungs. However, you can sometimes see things on x-ray that may not be true pneumonia. Also, saying someone has pneumonia does not say with certainty what the cause is - it could be viral or bacterial. It is very hard to do any definitive tests to be sure. Even getting a sputum sample (coughing up stuff into a container) isn't a very good test. Most likely, your doctor placed her on zithromax because of the prolonged fever without real explanation. Zithromax is best used for an infection causing "walking pneumonia" which is caused by a different infection than the more typical classical pneumonia. Also, generally you aren't AS sick with walking pneumonia (thus "walking" - meaning that you can walk around with the infection and not realize you have it). It is hard to say exactly what is going on but I think your doctor is probably taking a conservative but reasonable course of action. A CBC might have been useful to give a better picture of the situation, but now that antibiotics have been started it probably wouldn't be as useful. Let me know how she's doing after a couple of days on the antibiotics.
Oh man, I feel your pain! Our crew, including in-laws, were sick pretty much the entire Thanksgiving holiday. My father in law is still sick.
I'm sending you happy, healthy, get rid of crud thoughts!! :)
Cindy,
Be thankful. Max woke up Monday night at 11 p.m. not throwing up, not vomiting, but ERUPTING. It went through his blankets, mattress pad, and SOAKED his mattress. I am not good with this stuff. I'm much better with just standard fevers. We were lucky it was just a 24 hour thing though. Even so, we had to dispose of his pillow, my mom couldn't even get it clean. His NEW comforter took a soaking, 2 cleanings AND a spot clean.
Hope y'all are feeling better soon. Again POX upon Marcus.
Post a Comment